Roberta Goodman Mandel
Mandel Law Group, P.A.
8925 S.W. 148th Street
Miami, FL 33176
During her 33 years of practice, Roberta Mandel has argued more than 1,000 appeals in every Florida appellate court, the Florida Supreme Court, the Eleventh District Court of Appeal, and the United States Supreme Court. With approximately 650 reported decisions, she offers an unparalleled depth of experience. She has also been involved in countless trials during her career.
Mandel is often involved from the inception of a case in the trial court through the appellate state. She says, “It’s advantageous for trial attorneys to have experienced appellate attorneys involved in trial court litigation so all viable arguments are preserved for appellate court review.”
Mandel is AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, and has been designated a Legal Leader by the Miami Herald and a Florida Super Lawyer for many years. She began her career working on high-profile criminal cases. Starting in 2004, she went on to head the appellate departments of two law firms. Among her more notable cases was litigation stemming from Anna Nicole Smith’s death in Florida, which garnered worldwide media coverage.
In 2010, Mandel founded her own full-service trial and appellate litigation firm, the Mandel Law Group. There, she represented Fortune 500 companies as well as small businesses and individuals in civil and criminal matters. She was one of the first attorneys to effectively argue that trial attorneys who successfully represent homeowners in foreclosure actions are entitled to fee multipliers. Mandel also handles complex as well as simple divorce cases in both the trial and appellate court arenas.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1984
- Hofstra University, B.A., 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Before taking a case up on appeal, your attorney needs to exhaust all available options for changing the result at the trial level. I assist litigants in bringing these forms of applications for relief:
- Motion for judgment notwithstanding the verdict — This motion asserts that the jury in a civil case did not follow proper instructions or decided the case based on legally insufficient evidence and asks the court to enter a judgment as a matter of law.
- Motion for new trial or rehearing in civil cases — After a civil jury verdict, the losing party may argue that the judge made a significant legal error or that there was insufficient evidence to support the jury’s verdict. A motion for rehearing is filed to seek such relief in a case not decided by a jury.
- Motion for relief from judgment — Florida’s Rules of Civil Procedure allow a party to move for relief within a year or a final civil judgment, decree or order on several grounds, including mistake, excusable neglect, newly discovered evidence or fraud or other misconduct by an adverse party.
- Motion for new trial in criminal cases – In Florida, a criminal court may grant a new trial where the verdict is contrary to law or against the weight of the evidence or where new and material evidence is discovered after trial.
- Motion for judgment of acquittal — During or after trial, a defendant can challenge the legal sufficiency of the evidence presented by the prosecution.
Whether seeking a new trial or some other type of post-judgment relief, I look for every way possible to attain a positive outcome prior to resorting to appeal.
As your appeals counsel, I give your case a fresh and open-minded review to isolate all potential grounds for reversal and then raise these grounds in a persuasive, comprehensive appellate brief.
The Mandel Law Group is an appellate law firm that has over 600 reported appellate decisions from every Florida District Court of Appeal, the Florida Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals and has appeared before the United States Supreme Court, in cases arising from all areas of civil and criminal practice.
In addition, the Mandel Law Group has provided litigation trial support in over 1,500 jury trials, including the preparation of major substantive trial court motions and memoranda.
The Mandel Law Group also provides expert testimony as to both appellate and trial attorneys’ fees.
The Mandel Law Group is Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5*
*AV Preeminent ® is a certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.