Debra Tedeschi Varner
Varner & Van Volkenburg, PLLC
360 Washington Ave
West Virginia, 26301
Tel: (304) 918-2841
Debra handles cases in both state and federal courts, in the areas of Insurance Coverage, Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and has tried cases in counties throughout the State of West Virginia.
Debra has an active appellate practice and has argued cases before the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. Debra is admitted in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Debra is a Fellow in the American College of Coverage Counsel and serves as its President-Elect. A member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC), Debra formerly served as a Senior Director of the organization. She is also a past member of the Executive Committee of the FDCC. Debra previously served as the Chair of the FDCC Leadership Institute and served for many years as a faculty member of the FDCC’s Litigation Management College. Debra is a member of the Claims and Management Alliance, Defense Research Institute, the West Virginia State Bar and the Harrison County Bar Associations. Debra is also licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Debra has been repeatedly recognized as a Super Lawyer in the area of Insurance Coverage as well as in Best Lawyers in America. In 2016, she was named Lawyer of the Year in Insurance Coverage in northern West Virginia.
As a part of her practice, Debra routinely presents seminars and training sessions to insurance companies and corporate executives on claim handling and discovery throughout the country.
A graduate of University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, Debra also earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from William Paterson College.
- All Risks, Ltd. v. Old White Charities, Inc., 2017 WL 6508845 (4th Cir. Dec. 20, 2017)
- Scottsdale Ins. Co. v. Empire Builders, Inc. 2017 WL 6542508 (S.D.W. Va. Dec. 21, 2017)
- Bahn v. Doan, 2017 WL 4773881 (Memorandum Decision) (W. Va. 2017)
- Swiger v. United Valley Ins. Co., 2016 WL 3383264 (Memorandum Decision) (W. Va. 2016)
- Berkhouse v. Great American Assur. Co., 2013 WL 6152414 (Memorandum Decision) (W. Va. 2013)
- Longanacre v. Farmers Mut. Ins. Co., 2013 WL 5967104 (Memorandum Decision) (W. Va. 2013)
- Chafin ex rel. Estate of Bradley v. Farmers & Mechanics Mut. Ins. Co. of W.Va., 751 S.E.2d 765 (W. Va. 2013)
- AIG Domestic Claims, Inc. v. Hess Oil Co., Inc., 751 S.E.2d 31 (W. Va. 2013)
- Lindsay v. Attorneys Liability Protection Soc., Inc., 2013 WL 1776465 (Memorandum Decision) (W. Va. 2013)
- Ruckdeschel v. Falcon Drilling Co., LLC, 693 S.E.2d 815 (W. Va. 2010)
- Jennings v. Farmers Mut. Ins. Co., 687 S.E.2d 574 (W. Va. 2009)
- Dunn v. Rockwell, 689 S.E.2d 255 (W. Va. 2009)
- Strahin v. Sullivan, 647 S.E.2d 765 (W.Va. 2007)
- Brown v. City of Fairmont, 655 S.E.2d 563 (W.Va. 2007)
- Strahin v. Cleavenger, 603 S.E.2d 197
- Dairyland Ins. Co. v. Conley, 624 S.E.2d 599 (W.Va. 2005)
- Clark v. Druckman, 624 S.E.2d 864 (W.Va. 2005)
- W.Va. Fire & Cas. Co. v. Stanley, 602 S.E.2d 483 (W.Va. 2004)
- Gulas v. Infocision Mgmt. Corp., 599 S.E.2d 648 (2004)
- Findley v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., 576 S.E.2 807 (W.Va. 2002)
- Estate of Davis by Casey v. Farmers Mut. Ins. Co., 533 S.E.2d 33 (W.Va. 2000)
- Mallet v. Pickens, 522 S.E.2d 436 (W.Va. 1999)
- Mulledy v. West Virginia Ins. Co., 495 S.E.2d 566 (W.Va. 1997)
- Self v. Queen, 487 S.E.2d 295 (W.Va. 1997)
- State ex. rel. Cavender v. McCarty, 479 S.E.2d 887 (W.Va. 1996)
- Cavender v. Fouty, 464 S.E.2d 736 (W.Va. 1995).
Our appellate practice group has handled a broad array of cases including professional malpractice, complex family law, oil and gas litigation, insurance defense, insurance coverage matters, trial practice errors and complex real estate disputes.
Appellate advocacy demands a unique blend of experience and knowledge. There are times when even great trial lawyers may not fully appreciate the appellate issues, which could determine a successful outcome in the event an appeal is required. Our attorneys are adept at taking the “cold record” from previous counsel and handling a matter through the appellate process. Because the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals does not provide full appellate review of all decisions that are appealed, our attorneys have developed the necessary skills to carefully craft arguments for the maximum possibility of full appellate review based on their vast experience and keen understanding of current and historical decisions by the Court.
Clarksburg, West Virginia law firm Varner & Van Volkenburg, P.L.L.C. was formed with one goal in mind – continually working to achieve great results for litigants in West Virginia while remaining focused on the client’s goals.
We believe that the way to achieve great results is through hard work – completed intelligently and mindful of those we serve. We listen to our clients more than we talk to them and proactively attempt to find creative ways to meet their needs – whether big or small. Our relationships with our communities and both sides of the bar allow us the perspective to see all the angles during our representation so that our clients are not surprised with developments and have a full picture of each issue.
We are proud of the work we have done throughout the years for our clients and look forward to energetically assisting our clients in the years ahead.
The attorneys at Varner & Van Volkenburg realize that every client and every legal matter is different and unique. In every matter we handle, our guiding principle is to tailor our representation to achieve the best result possible, in the most straightforward and cost-effective manner with the client’s goal as our goal. Through emphasizing the force multiplier of technology (and not overstaffing), our extensive experience and close relationship with every client, we are able to focus on one thing – solving your most difficult and pressing issues.
We embrace representing clients in their most complex matters because that is what we do – solve problems and achieve results.