Benjamin J. Hogan
Bailey Glasser LLP
6 Canyon Road, Suite 200
Morgantown, WV 26508
Ben Hogan is a zealous courtroom advocate for his clients. With a practice generally focused on appellate litigation and complex civil litigation. Ben has served as lead counsel in numerous appeals in state and federal courts, and often consults on appeals within the firm. His practice includes a diverse array of appellate litigation matters, he has represented individuals, companies, universities, and state governments in cases valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
In addition, Ben represents clients in nationwide consumer class actions, civil rights, antitrust, Title IX, and products liability litigation.
Most recently, he has represented various state governmental entities, including the Governor of West Virginia, in emerging and groundbreaking litigation arising from challenges to governments’ responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Serves as lead appellate counsel for the Plaintiff in a civil rights case involving a fatal police shooting.
- Served as Special Attorney General for the State of West Virginia in an antitrust lawsuit, which resulted in the largest antitrust settlement in the history of West Virginia.
- Represents nationwide classes of consumers in claims brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), including Krakauer v. Dish Network.
- Represented clients on appeal of medical malpractice claims in North Carolina state court.
- Represents a police officer in whistle blower and wrongful termination claims.
- Brought claims on behalf of a class under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Awards & Accolades
Super Lawyers, West Virginia, “Rising Star,” Consumer Law, Appellate, Employment & Labor, Personal Injury – General, Personal Injury – Products (2020 – 2021)
- J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, 2016, Editor-in-Chief, West Virginia Law Review
- M.A., West Virginia University, 2009, magna cum laude
- B.A., West Virginia University, 2009, cum laude
- West Virginia
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- US District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
Bailey Glasser lawyers have handled appeals in virtually every substantive area, including ERISA, antitrust, class actions, environmental law, international law, and criminal law. Whether briefing and presenting oral argument themselves or providing consulting services for trial lawyers handling an appeal, Bailey Glasser strengthens the client’s presentation to appellate courts anywhere in the United States.
Long before any appeal is taken or even before suit is filed, we identify and evaluate appellate issues likely to arise, then follow up with trial consulting and support. An appellate lawyer on a trial team can assist in presenting the best possible case to the jury, while providing invaluable perspective on preservation of issues for appeal. We comprehensively understand what it takes to persuade appellate judges, and, toward that end, what it will take to build the right record to put the client’s best foot forward.
Currently 21 former federal or state supreme court law clerks work at Bailey Glasser in offices throughout the country.
The firm’s complex litigation practice focuses on high-stakes commercial litigation; class actions for consumers, insureds, investors, and retirement plan participants; catastrophic injury and defective product cases; antitrust; and whistleblower lawsuits.
The firm has extensive experience in energy law, and litigates energy cases in trial courts, bankruptcy courts, regulatory agencies, and appellate courts.
It has a major corporate practice, and handles business matters ranging from assisting Chinese investors in acquiring US assets, to IPOs, to the negotiation and execution of billions of dollars in commercial transactions.