Andrew M. Jacobs
Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.
One Arizona Center, Suite 1900
400 East Van Buren Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004-2202
Andrew Jacobs is a leader in Arizona appellate practice. He is the Chair of Snell & Wilmer’s appellate practice and a Fellow of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers. He has argued forty civil appeals, was twice nominated to the Governor as a candidate for the Arizona Supreme Court, has been appointed by the Arizona Supreme Court to four different commissions or committees, has been a principal drafter of many of the Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure, and is a chapter author of the upcoming edition of the Arizona Appellate Handbook. Andrew’s appellate experience includes being counsel of record in a case accepted for review by the United States Supreme Court, arguing over a dozen times to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, including en banc, and arguing eight times to the Nevada Supreme Court. Andrew has also argued to the Arizona Supreme Court, the Arizona Court of Appeals (both Divisions), the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the Utah Court of Appeals, and the Colorado Court of Appeals.
Andrew is concerned to actively serve the appellate courts. He was the chair of the Ninth Circuit’s Lawyer Representatives in 2011-2012, served on the Ninth Circuit’s Advisory Committee on Rules and Practice from 2008 through 2012, and has served as the lawyer-coordinator for the Ninth Circuit’s pro bono program from 2007 to the present in the Districts of Arizona and Nevada after working with Chief Judge John Roll to found that program. Andrew has likewise been the lawyer-coordinator for the Arizona Court of Appeals’ pro bono program for Division Two since that program’s inception in 2014. Through these different service roles, Andrew has placed over 200 pro bono cases with volunteer counsel.
Andrew was honored by the Arizona State Bar as Member of the Year in 2016 (along with two other peers simultaneously honored), has been Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated since 2007, a Super Lawyer since 2012, is AV-rated and a Super Lawyer in Appellate Law, has been recognized by other honorary groups, and has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America® for Appellate Law and also Commercial Litigation. Andrew has also tried four cases to juries in Illinois and Arizona, a number of preliminary injunctions, arbitrations, and bench trials, for a total of twelve proceedings tried, almost all as first chair.
- State Bar of Arizona
- Civil Practice and Procedure Committee (2009-present)
- Chair (2014-2018)
- Appellate Practice Section, Trial Practice Section
- Civil Practice and Procedure Committee (2009-present)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
- Commissions and Committees Constituted by the Arizona Supreme Court
- Judicial Performance Review Commission (2009-2016)
- Task Force on the Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure, Working Group 1 Chair (2014-2016)
- Committee on Civil Justice Reform, Working Group 1 Chair (2015-2017)
- Arizona Court of Appeals, Pro Bono Program, Lawyer-Coordinator, Division Two (2014-present)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Lawyer Representatives, Chair (2011-2012)
- Conference Executive Committee (2009-2012)
- Ninth Circuit Advisory Committee on the Rules of Practice (2008-2012)
- Ninth Circuit Pro Bono Program, Lawyer Coordinator for the District of Arizona (2007-present)
- Ninth Circuit Pro Bono Program, Lawyer Coordinator for the District of Nevada (2007-present)
- Lawyer Representative to the District of Arizona (2006-2009)
- District of Arizona, Chair (2008-2009) (including leading preparation for District Conference)
- District of Arizona Pro Bono Program, Founder, Coordinator/Co-Coordinator (2007-2014)
- American Bar Association
- Commercial and Business Litigation Section, Class Action Subsection, Co‑Chair (2009‑2011)
- Program Committee (2011-2013)
- Litigation Section
- Professional Responsibility Section
- Pima County Bar Association
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers (2018)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business®, Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation (2020-2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation (2018-2022)
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation (2012-2015), Appellate (2016-2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rated (2007-present)
- Arizona’s Finest Lawyers
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
Snell & Wilmer’s appellate attorneys have handled appeals and extraordinary writs in a full spectrum of litigation matters arising from both state and federal trial courts. The firm’s appellate attorneys are intimately familiar with appellate procedure and have strong persuasive writing skills, a keen understanding of the law, and the experience necessary to deal with complicated records and legal issues.
Snell & Wilmer’s appellate group has decades of experience serving as lead counsel or counsel of record for clients in an extensive range of legal issues, including antitrust, civil rights, constitutional, labor and employment, healthcare, intellectual property and product liability law, among many others. Our attorneys have handled appeals for clients whom we have served as trial counsel, as well as cases in which Snell & Wilmer attorneys have not been previously involved.
Our appellate services range from evaluating the merits of a potential appeal or writ to handling the matter through completion of the appellate process. We also counsel companies and industry associations that have an interest in strategically utilizing the appellate courts to establish legal precedent.
The firm represents clients ranging from large, publicly traded corporations to small businesses, individuals and entrepreneurs. Snell & Wilmer and its lawyers have been recognized by clients and peers for exceptional legal skills and ethical business practices with various distinguished awards. Corporate Board Member magazine recognized Snell & Wilmer as the number one law firm to work with in Phoenix for 12 consecutive years; and the firm was named a “Go-To Law Firm®” as reported in Corporate Counsel®, a national magazine for general counsel.
Snell & Wilmer is renowned for having extensive experience in a full range of transactional and litigation legal services. The firm’s range of practices include, among others: bankruptcy, bioscience, business litigation, construction, corporate, employee benefits, energy/environmental, healthcare, intellectual property, international, labor/employment, product liability, real estate/zoning, tax, and trusts/estates.